• A
  • A
  • A

Clarisse Eva Birschoffsheim

Born:
5 Nisan 5597 (10 April 1837)
Died:
22 Tishri 5683 (14 October 1922)

Basic Information

Unique reference:
BIR5242
Other surname:
Biedermann
Gender:
Female

Birth

Date of birth:
5 Nisan 5597 (10 April 1837)
Place of birth:
Vienna, Austria

Death

Date of death:
22 Tishri 5683 (14 October 1922)
Died in combat?:
No
Place of death:
Warren House, Stanmore
Burial place:
Hoop Lane Jewish Cemetery, Golders Green, Row 9 No 24

Places

Addresses

7 Grafton Street, London (1871)
London House until she died:
Bute House 75 South Audley Street, London (1881)
Warren House was where Clarissa Birschoffsheim died:
The Warren Common Lane, Stanmore

Synagogues

Name:
West London Synagogue
 < Close personal journey map
Personal Journey map
Clarisse Eva Birschoffsheim
VIEW PERSONAL JOURNEY MAP

Daneswood Convalescent Home (see document) Jewish Home for Consumptives in Woburn Sands. http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/wsc/docs/Convalescent.html

Daneswood was erected as a private residence before becoming a convalescent home. It dates from just before 1880, and we believe the first owner was James Charles Cleghorn. Directories place him there in 1890. He was possibly an architect, for it was he who designed the doors of the Church porch, and this house may have been built to his plans. He was followed there by Canon Bartlett, who gave much help to the Church, and he must have been Cleghorn's tenant as it was only in October 1891 that Cleghorn sold the property to a group of Jewish Trustees which was headed by Henry Louis Bischoffsheim, with Sampson Lucas and Lord Rothschild. Here, they opened "The Jewish Convalescent Home for Consumptives".
Owing to its patients and their visitors, Woburn Sands became well-known to the Jewish community in London, with some setting up in business here, and remaining for some years. Parker believed it became known as a place of refuge for them during both World Wars. It continued catering only for members of that faith until in July 1948, when under the National Service Act of 1946, it was taken over by the Ministry of Health and was opened up to all (and no) faiths.
In July 1905, George Lee, the sole remaining member of the old besom-making family in Leighton Hollow, sold his cottage and garden to the Trustees, subject to his life tenancy, and in the garden they established a well, with pump house and engine. How the premises obtained their water supply before that is not known, probably by a well in the grounds. This new supply was connected in lead piping all the way up Sandy Lane to the Home, which had its own electric supply and engineer (who lived in the Lodge), and this supply continued until sometime between the Wars, even though in 1911 a mains supply became available.
It was decided in the end to go over to the mains water, and before doing so the Trust had the main water analysed, with the result that it was announced to be one of the purest and softest waters in England, in fact too pure - they were advised not to pass it through lead piping. This caused concern as the whole of the house services were in lead, so the old pipe was all ripped out and replaced with copper, and from that time on the local plumbers recommended all supplies to be piped in that material. The late Sol Leadbetter told me that, as a builders’ apprentice, he was lowered down that well to sever the lead pipe as low as they could so it could be salvaged and sold for scrap!
It closed in the early 1980’s(?), and after being derelict for some years, was converted into flats.

Family

Spouse

Henry L. Birschoffsheim (male)

Children

Ellen Bischoffsheim "Countess of Desart" (female)
Amelia Bischoffsheim (female)

Siblings

Melanie Biedermann (female)
Charlotte Biedermann (female)
Mathilde Biedermann (female)
Lucie Leah Biedermann (female)
Michael Lazar Biedermann (male)
Malvina Biedermann (female)
Emilie Biedermann (female)
Ilona Biedermann (female)
Fritz Biedermann (male)
Ernst Joachim Biedermann (male)

Parents

Father: Josef David Lob Biedermann (male)
Parent: Henriette

Homefront

Occupation:
President of Tudor House Hospital
What was the impact of this:

Clara Baroness de Hirsch Convalescent Home
Tudor House, The Grove, Hampstead Heath, NW3 6RF

Medical dates:

Medical character: 1898 - 1926

Convalescent
In January 1898 Baroness de Hirsch (1833-1899), a philanthropist living in Paris, purchased Tudor House, a large freehold property on Hampstead Heath, for £16,000 in order to establish a convalescent home for Anglo-Jewish patients.

The Clara Baroness de Hirsch Convalescent Home was officially opened in December 1898 by Lady Lewis. The ceremony had been hastened for fear that the Baroness, President of the Home, who had been in ailing health for many years, might not live to see the day. The Home was consecrated by the Chief Rabbi, who paid tribute to the unlimited generosity of the Baroness, who had fully endowed the Home, and to the unselfish and able work done by Mrs H.L. Bischoffsheim.

The Baroness died in Paris on 1st April 1899 at the age of 65 years. Mrs Bischoffsheim, who had been Vice-President, became the President of the Home.

The 7-bedroomed red brick mansion had been built in mock Tudor style. Initially, it had 6 beds - 3 for men and 3 for women. There were 5 rooms for resident nursing and domestic staff. As well as a breakfast room, a dining room (and a 'noble' Tudor dining room, a double drawing room and a Japanese morning room, there were a library, a Tower room and a tessellated verandah. The house was set in ornamental grounds with a tennis lawn and a rockery with a rustic bridge.

Later a children's ward was added to the Home in memory of the Baroness, paid for by her uncle Henri (Henry) Bischoffsheim.

During 1907 some 30 patients were received at the Home, 19 of whom had been referred from the London Hospital.

During WW1 the Home closed in October 1917 due to rising prices and higher running costs.

However, it reopened again in the summer of 1918 under the care of the British Red Cross. It became the Tudor House Military Hospital for Jewish soldiers and had 50 beds. All expenses were defrayed by Mrs Bischoffsheim.

In June 1920 the Home reopened as a convalescent home for men, women and children. It had 30 beds.

During 1921 some 572 patients were admitted.

At the beginning of 1922 the children's ward closed and the children were moved to the men's ward. Only 313 patients were admitted during that year.

The children's ward was still closed in January 1923 but, in the spring, the First Women's Lodge of England (London 56) of the Independent Order of B'nai Brith funded 4 beds for children for a period of six months, at a cost not exceeding 25 shillings (£1.25) a week per bed. After Passover, additional beds were set up and, later, more beds, so that funding by B'nai Brith enabled the whole children's ward to reopen.

Poor patients were admitted free of charge, but an experimental arrangement established with the Order "Achei Brith" and "Shield of Abraham"enabled a small number of female members to receive treatment at the Home.

By the end of 1923 some 440 patients had been admitted to the Home, of whom 213 had come on their own application following a private recommendation. Most of the remainder had been referred from the London Hospital, the London Jewish Hospital, the German Hospital and the Metropolitan Hospital; 75 patients came from other hospitals and infirmaries. Their average stay was three weeks. The average cost of an in-patient was £1 16s 7d (£1.83) a week.

The Home closed in 1926.


Present status (February 2010)
In 1935 Viscount and Viscountess Astor, who had bought the property, presented it to the newly formed Hawthorne Trust to use as a Christian Science nursing home.
Tudor House was renamed Hawthorne House. It opened in 1937, the first Christian Science House in the United Kingdom.
In 1948 the Hawthorne Christian Science House was disclaimed from the NHS.
It was sold in November 1987, when the Trust relocated the Home to Charton Manor.
The building was demolished and Summit Lodge, an apartment block, now occupies its site.

Other Occupations

Position:
Assisted her Husband the Trustee of Daneswood Convalescent Home
Organisation:
Jewish Home for Consumptives
Position:
Member
Organisation:
Anglo Jewish Association

Gallery

Contact the Author

Any messages sent via this facility are not the responsibility of the WWTT site and are simply passed onto the account holder’s contact and not stored here. Should the author choose to reply to you, all further contact made will not be transmitted through the site but independently through your own email or the details you leave here.

SEND MESSAGE

Contact the Author

Please note that the recipient will be provided with the email address linked to your account, and any response will not be transmitted through the site but independently through your own email.

Give us your feedback

Please tell us what you think to help us develop and progress this vital resource

London Jews in the First World War - We Were There Too

Follow us on social media:

© London Jewish Cultural Centre 2018

Website : beachshore